Will hike targets fail in Europe's PE market?
These producers aim to hike their prices especially for LDPE and LLDPE, pointing to the narrowing gap between the ethylene contract level and PE prices.
A reseller from Italy commented, “Our supplier might apply large increases, which we are not willing to pay. We are offering with rollovers from our existing stocks. Buyers are also taking a waiting stance as they are sure that increases are not workable.”
Despite their earlier expectations for large hike intentions, some sellers have adopted a more moderate pricing policy in line with buyers’ resistance. A South European producer approached the market with small increases of €10/ton for all PE grades except for LDPE, which was rolled over.
At this point, more players appear to be acknowledging that large increases are highly likely to wane in the midst of slow end business markets as well as ample supplies. Buyers are not willing to pay hikes ahead of the year-end, when most sellers deplete their stocks.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept