Will hike targets fail in Europe's PE market?
These producers aim to hike their prices especially for LDPE and LLDPE, pointing to the narrowing gap between the ethylene contract level and PE prices.
A reseller from Italy commented, “Our supplier might apply large increases, which we are not willing to pay. We are offering with rollovers from our existing stocks. Buyers are also taking a waiting stance as they are sure that increases are not workable.”
Despite their earlier expectations for large hike intentions, some sellers have adopted a more moderate pricing policy in line with buyers’ resistance. A South European producer approached the market with small increases of €10/ton for all PE grades except for LDPE, which was rolled over.
At this point, more players appear to be acknowledging that large increases are highly likely to wane in the midst of slow end business markets as well as ample supplies. Buyers are not willing to pay hikes ahead of the year-end, when most sellers deplete their stocks.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Restriction on shopping bags exerts pressure on PE demand in Turkey
- LLDPE moves below €1000/ton in Europe, eyes on awaited US PE cargoes
- Import PVC soars to 4-month high in China, India
- European PET erases hefty gains of 2018, notching 4th month of weakness
- SE Asia PP market likely to remain under pressure amid upcoming capacities
- Saudi major issues drops for January in global PE markets
- PS producers’ January offers defy lower styrene in Europe
- Asian PVC market holds firm prior to Feb announcement
- Players tread with caution in Mid-Eastern and African PP, PE markets
- China’s PET market extends losses as souring sentiment lingers