Will low ABS demand in Asia outshine cost-driven hikes?
Poor margins forced ABS makers to reduce production
ABS producers across the region decided to lower their operating rates earlier in June in an attempt to cope with their negative margins considering higher styrene and butadiene costs. Suppliers adopted a stable to firmer pricing policy as they counted on the hikes in spot styrene prices in H1 June.
Moreover, spot butadiene prices were up to near $1100/ton FOB Korea by the middle of June, $80/ton above late May, which contributed to the firming trend for downstream ABS .
Activity is hindered by low end season
Many players agreed that the recent ABS gains were actually triggered by higher costs. Nonetheless, the recent increase requests have not boosted much buying appetite among converters in China.
“Manufacturers are mostly continuing to source just their needs nowadays. The low season for several applications and volatile styrene prices keep demand curtailed,” opined a player in China.
Is upstream taking its support away from ABS?
Spot styrene prices steadily rose in the first three weeks of June. However, they have edged down this week on an FOB Korea basis, erasing their previous gains earlier this month.
Moreover, spot ACN prices were corrected down starting from late May following relentless increases occurred during the previous months driven by a global tightness.
S. East Asia appears indifferent to firmer China
In the meantime, prices in Southeast Asia have followed a steady trend heading to July. A trader in Indonesia opined, “Prices were stable on the week while discounts of $20/ton were believed to be obtainable in case of firm bids. Demand has been muted since the end of Hari Raya Holidays, which caused ABS prices to defy the earlier gains in spot styrene.”
Asian players to hold waiting stance until after G-20 Summit
ABS players are planning to preserve their waiting stance over the near term in order to see the outcome of trade talks between China and the US amid G-20 Summit. The energy complex and feedstock costs remain as other factors to track closely for next week.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asia PET markets stay soft as supplies accumulate amid seasonal lull
- Price gap between PVC and HDPE pipe shrinks in Vietnam
- Spot C3 prices in Europe and Asia fall to new lows as supply lengthens
- European PE prices at a decade low, eroding demand for recycled grades
- US HDPE, LLDPE fall below $800 in Turkey; does further weakness lurk ahead?
- SE Asia’s import homo-PP market sinks to 3-and-a-half year low
- PVC market in China suffers larger declines than in India
- African PE markets hit historical lows on greater competition from US supply
- Italy’s PVC market takes a downward turn in Nov following ethylene
- Turkey’s import PP market hovers around 3-year low as activity stays depressed